This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DYERSBURG, Tenn. — Beau the dog and his owner have been reunited.

Owner Danny Higgins’ attorney and the attorneys for the City of Dyersburg reached a deal under conditions mediated after Friday morning’s circuit court hearing.

The fees owed to the shelter for keeping Beau were paid using donations.

Part of the agreement is Beau must live outside the city limits and must be microchipped.

Danny Higgins has never given up hope that Beau would be released and has argued that the nearly 3-year-old lab, Golden retriever, German shepherd mix isn’t vicious.

Higgins was thrilled with the happy outcome to Beau’s story,  no matter what the terms.

“There’ just so many people from all over the United States and all over the world and they wouldn’t give it up till Beau got out of here. And it’s wonderful, it’s wonderful. I got my baby back,” he said.

For the first time in months, Higgins can laugh, because his pet and best friend Beau will finally taste freedom.

The deal comes after a judge removed the stay of execution for Beau, who was ruled dangerous.

Circuit Judge Lee Moore granted the stay in November to allow attorneys for the dog’s owner time to file an appeal to the vicious dog citation.

After the decision, a new attorney representing the dog’s owner, Danny Higgins, entered a motion asking for more time because he had just taken over the case.

The judge said he would wait till next Friday to turn in the paperwork allowing the execution, therefore giving Mr. Higgins one more week.

Beau, a Golden Retriever/German Shepherd mix, reportedly killed a neighbor’s duck, chased an 8-year-old boy, and showed signs of aggression against officers in September 2014.

Investigators said Beau was not restrained at the time.

Thousands of people have signed an online petition to save the dog.

City leaders say they have repeatedly tried to negotiate with Higgins but he refused until today.

In court Friday morning, the judge told Higgins he was frustrated with him and needed to make a decision about what he wanted to do.

After learning Beau was being released, Higgins said, “What am I going to do now? Enjoy time with my Beau-Beau.”