PUTNAM COUNTY, Fla. (CNN) — Florida recorded its youngest death from COVID-19 last week, a 9-year-old girl.
Kimora Lynum died last Saturday in Putnam County. Her family said she had no underlying health conditions when she developed a very high fever.
They say she was taken to the hospital for treatment, but was sent home. The child reportedly collapsed a short time later and died after her heart failed.
Her family has no idea how or where “Kimmi” contracted the coronavirus. Her grief-stricken mother says the child was healthy and stayed home all summer and had no contact with anyone who had COVID-19.
The 9-year-old is the fifth child in Florida to die from the virus. The state has experienced nearly 400,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- SCS student expected to return to class in January; parents must decide by end of the month
- As Senate weighs COVID-19 relief, AP reports White House tried to control CDC pandemic messaging
- Virtual learning: A day in the life of a student and teachers
- Time running out to reach COVID-19 relief deal before election
- DOJ files antitrust lawsuit against Google