MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis-based retailer Fred's announced it will close 159 stores nationwide, and that includes many of the chain's stores in the Mid-South.
David Chatman says he's been shopping at Fred's on Getwell Road for 20 years. "It's very affordable. It's a safe store you can pretty much get everything out of."
That location is one of the 159 under-performing stores that's expected to close by the end of May. This closing is about 29% of Fred's current total of 557 stores.
The company hasn't said how many employees will be affected but claims some will be moved to other locations.
Below are the stores in the Mid-South that will be closed.
- Brownsville; 337 East Main Street
- Collierville; 450 Highway 72 West
- Dyersburg; 805 Pennell Lane
- Jackson; 1688 S. Highland Avenue
- Memphis; 4280 Getwell Road
- Memphis; 5016 Old Summer Road
- Forrest City; 2227 N. Washington Street
- Jonesboro; 2308 S. Caraway Road
- Osceola; 1324 W. Keiser Avenue
- Paragould; 1723 W. Kings Highway
- West Memphis; 606 E. Broadway Street
- Holly Springs; 148 W. Van Dorn Avenue
- Horn Lake; 3031 Goodman Road West