Memphis man dead after early morning house fire

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A Memphis man tragically died after his Kney Street home went up in flames early Thursday morning.

According to Lt. Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department, Andre Perry was killed after a fire started near the television in the living room. He said it appears the fire was electrical but that is still an ongoing investigation.

The family however told WREG that the home didn't have any power. They claimed the fire was started by a candle that was in the living room.  They also stated Perry may have fallen asleep on the couch prior to the fire starting.

A cousin who lives nearby said he saw the smoke coming from the home.

Perry's father is still trying to process it all.

"I'm shaking at the knees. I already had to put one son away. You can imagine having to put both of them away," William Perry said.

By the time officials got to him he was unresponsive. He later died.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.