MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Admission to a local assisted living home has been suspended indefinitely after a 91-year-old resident was found outside in the summer heat unresponsive.
According to state officials, Foxbridge Assisted Living & Memory Care, a 149-bed facility in the 2100 block of Mangum Road in Memphis, will also have to pay a monetary penalty of $3,000 and allow a special monitor to review their operations.
The action stemmed from an incident back in August in which a 91-year-old male resident was discovered unresponsive on the docks near the facility. He had reportedly been left outside for several hours resulting in a severe heat stroke and dehydration.
One EMT noted in his report that the man even had sunburn-like red splotches on his skin. He said in his opinion, it was obvious the man had been outside alone for some time.
The man was rushed to the emergency room where he was later admitted to the hospital.
Amanda Snyder's grandmother stays at Foxbridge.
"I'm shocked honestly. That doesn't sound like what I know Foxbridge to be, so that's concerning to me," she said.
She says she visits her grandmother at the facility everyday.
"I've never really seen anything questionable."
But the state isn't allowing the facility to take new residents until current conditions are improved.
Foxbridge released a statement in response to the state's allegations, saying they would appeal the claims and work with the Department of Health to resolve the matter.
"For nearly 30 years, Foxbridge has always been focused on helping our residents live a high quality of life. In serving this mission, we have always operated our business in compliance with all applicable regulations and in cooperation with the State of Tennessee. We take the health and wellness of our residents very seriously and we know the Department of Health does as well. ...
"... We look forward to continuing to provide excellent care and remain dedicated to the quality of life of our residents."
A family member of the victim told investigators when they come to visit him, they only stay outside for 15 minutes at a time.
The man survived and was brought to a different nursing home.