HONOLULU – It’s officially barbecue season, though one place you shouldn’t plan on making s’mores is over the lava-spurting Kilauea volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island.
It’s hard to believe the US Geological Survey should have to say this, but the agency issued just such a warning Monday after one curious guy posed an eyebrow-raising question, USA Today reports. That query: “Is it safe to roast marshmallows over volcanic vents? Assuming you had a long enough stick, that is? Or would the resulting marshmallows be poisonous?”
The short answer from the USGS Volcanoes handle: “Erm … we’re going to have to say no, that’s not safe.”
Then, an elaboration: “If the vent is emitting a lot of SO2 or H2S, they would taste BAD. And if you add sulfuric acid (in vog, for example) to sugar, you get a pretty spectacular reaction.” A final warning: “Please don’t try!”
More From Newser:
- In ‘Surreal’ Hearing, Son, 30, Ordered to Move Out of Parents’ Home
- Jury Awards Record $1B to Georgia Rape Victim
- ‘Something Was Wrong With This Cougar’: Attack Details Released