MEMPHIS, Tenn. — WREG weather experts say the temperature in Memphis Tuesday afternoon was 93 and rising, breaking the old record of 91 degrees.
As temperatures hit record highs in the Mid-South, here are some ways locals are beating the heat.
Mark Elder, also known as Dance Machine when dancing on Beale Street on the weekends, said to stay in the shade and drink plenty of water.
Jay Sims said on sunny days he likes to go running, ride his bike or play basketball but on one condition.
“But I try to do that towards the end of the day, not in the heat,” Sims said.
Some said an ice-cold beer was the best remedy, though experts probably wouldn’t recommend that.
Others just stay inside, but if you have to make it out here are things to remember:
- Apply plenty of sunscreen
- Drink lots of water throughout the day
- Stay in the shade as much as possible
- Check on pets, elderly and loved ones especially if they don’t have air conditioning
- Check cars for pets and children.