Suspects, girlfriend charged after shots fired at officers

Ladarren Easley, Georgia Allen and Carl Betts

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Three suspects are now behind bars after shots were fired at Memphis police officers Wednesday afternoon.

The suspects have been identified as Georgia Allen, Carl Betts, and Ladarren Easley.

Police said the officers were responding to an unrelated call near the corner of Chelsea and Woodlawn in North Memphis around 4 p.m. when the suspects drove up in a gray Chevrolet Impala and the passenger opened fire.

In the report, police described how they heard the bullets passing by their heads and striking the ground near them.

“Officers were doing their job, they were stopped when the suspects drove by and decided to shoot out the window towards the officers,” said Memphis Police Department spokeswoman Karen Rudolph.

With blues lights flashing and sirens blaring, officers chased the suspects as they tore through stop signs driving at a high-rate of speed. The suspects eventually crashed the car about 2.5 miles away at North Avalon and Forrest in Midtown, damaging two houses. They then bailed out and ran.

“Clearly the car had run into a telephone pole and hit a fence and tore that area up,” said one witness.

The driver, 24-year-old Easley, was taken into custody after a foot chase and charged with attempted first-degree murder, evading arrest and reckless driving. He told police the pair was attempting to fire at the driver of another vehicle and sped off when they saw police.

The other suspect, Betts, was able to evade police custody until Thursday morning. He was located in the 3200 block of Charlotte with his girlfriend, Allen.

Allen told police Betts sent her a text telling her he was in trouble the night of the incident. She picked him, but claimed she didn’t know what kind of trouble he was in or that police were looking for him.

However, text messages between the couple showed the pair had discussed the shooting, chase and crash at length, police said. In one, she reportedly insisted on picking him up and how to do it without getting caught.

They even exchanged pictures of the local media’s coverage of the incident.

When police confronted her about the false statements, she reportedly once again said she didn’t know anything about the crimes.

She was charged with filing a false report and being an accessory after the fact.

As for her boyfriend, he reportedly admitted to being at the scene, but claimed he was just a passenger and never had a gun.

He was charged with four counts of attempted first-degree murder, employment of a firearm during a dangerous felony and evading arrest.

Police recovered a black Glock handgun with an extended 50 round drum magazine, a second magazine, a Bersa 9mm handgun and numerous spend shell casings at the scene.