Tugboat recovered, one body found

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn.— One body was found on the missing Ricky Robinson tugboat after it was recovered from the Mississippi River Sunday evening.

The body was turned over to the Memphis Police Department and has not been identified yet.

Search and rescue crew members pulled the tugboat to the surface and discovered the body of one of the two missing boaters.

"I was lost. I'm still kind of lost," said Frank Gottie, the cousin of 19-year-old Anquavius Jamison, although police still haven't made an official I.D.

"He was a hard worker. He had friends. He had plenty of friends," said Gottie. "He was the type of person that you would cling onto."

Family has been searching the river banks themselves each day since the tugboat sank Friday, Dec. 8. They were there today when the body was pulled.

"I'm really not afraid of anything, but I was afraid for the women in my family," said Gottie. "To see them take that body off the boat."

Search and rescue members will be back tomorrow searching for the boat's captain - Jamison's step-father, Keith Pigram.

"It's closure, but we still have somebody missing," said Gottie.

RELATED:Company plans salvage effort for sunken tugboat

According to the release they still have more work to do before they can officially begin an investigation as to why the tugboat sank.

Wepfer Marine management say they have been in touch with the designated family members of the missing crew on progress throughout the recovery process.

Keith Pigram and his stepson Anquavius Newsom were working on the boat when it went down Friday, Dec. 8.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.