Video: Tennessee family issues warning after Christmas lights catch fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COLUMBIA, Tenn. —A Middle Tennessee couple has issued a warning for anyone planning to deck the halls this holiday season after their decorations caught on fire.

Home security cameras were rolling as a single strand of outdoor Christmas lights started smoking. The fire spread to nearby bushes as Mary Morrison and Danielle Huckaby slept inside. Eventually the smoke detectors went off, alerting them to the danger just outside their front door.

Morrison said all of the lights on the front of the house were brand new and they took precautions to make sure the outlets weren’t overloaded. She told WZTV their big mistake was leaving the lights on all the time.

“We thought because it was only one strand of lights and we weren’t overloading an outlet, we would be okay. It is the most terrifying thing to be woken up to a fire on your home.”

She said she hopes her experience will save someone else from going through the exact same thing.

“[It’s] a mistake many make, but could cost them their life.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.