Want to get our news alerts on your desktop? Click “Allow” when you get the prompt

Police: Mother who falsely reported 1 y/o missing, triggering Amber Alert charged

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. --Two people have been charged after a one-year-old was falsely reported missing following a car theft Thursday afternoon.

Elbenie Edwards, Isiah Edwards' mother, was charged with false reporting. Shaquille Wideman has been charged with theft of property.

The entire thing started when Edwards reported Wideman stole her car at a gas station in the Ridgeway and Knight Arnold area.

Elbenie Edwards/ Shelby County Sheriff's Office

When officers arrived on the scene, Edwards said her son, one-year-old Isiah, was still inside when the theft occurred, triggering a massive search and eventually an Amber Alert to be issued.

Several hours into the search Memphis Police located the allegedly stolen Chevy Cruze in the 6300 block of Wind Ridge Cove and the suspect, Wideman, not far away in the 6100 block of Trout Valley.

According to the Memphis Police Department the baby was never in any danger, as he was not in the car when it was stolen.

Isiah was reportedly with relatives since Wednesday night.

The baby was eventually located in the 1400 block of Briercrest Lane, his aunt's home, shortly after 3 p.m.

"I had to straighten up and say, 'Wait a minute! That's Isiah!' So my grand daughter, my other grand daughter called me and said, 'Grandma! you see Elbenie baby on TV?! I said yeah, 'I said what's going on?' She said,'Grandma Elbenie done lied like that baby got kidnapped,'" explained Shirley Hopkins, Edwards' grandmother and great grandmother to Isiah.

Hopkins said she did now know why her grand daughter would lie to police.

"We want to encourage people to tell the truth, to be honest. Let's not waste resources," explained Memphis Police Public Information Officer Louis Brownlee.

Hopkins thanked law enforcement for their swift action.

"They did a great job they really did," she said.

Hopkins said police officers had to take Isiah as part of their investigation, now she's hoping to get custody of him.

"She don't need him. She don't need him. If I have to fight for him I'll get him," she said.