Family narrowly escapes morning fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A family of five narrowly escaped a morning fire Wednesday.

Firefighters say the mother smelled smoke around 1:15 a.m.

When firefighters arrived, they saw flames rising from the home in the 6700 block of Keystone.

They say they were able to enter the home and get that fire under control in about 10 minutes.

Investigators say a faulty electrical outlet in the kitchen started the fire.

There was a working smoke detector in the home.

The fire caused about $30,000 in damage.