Woman dies after being rescued from burning house

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A woman has died in the hospital after she was found unresponsive in a burning home.

The fire happened Tuesday morning in the 3500 block of Rochester Road.

Firefighters said they found Wydena Norris, 82, unresponsive in a bedroom.

Memphis Fire said she suffered smoke inhalation and second-degree burns and was transported to Regional Medical Center in critical condition. She died that evening.

Fire officials said it was an electrical fire that started after a ceiling fan malfunctioned in the living room.

The house, which sustained some damage, did have a smoke alarm, Memphis Fire said.