Man in critical condition after house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A man was found unresponsive in a house fire Saturday evening.

Firefighters arrived at the burning house in the 1500 block of Latham Street around 6 p.m.

The firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control, but the victim, who was found in the bathroom, had already suffered smoke inhalation.

He was taken to Regional Medical Center in critical condition.

Memphis Fire officials determined the fire was caused by a portable heater placed too close to combustible materials in the bedroom.

The house and its contents sustained about $17,000 of damage.

No firefighters were hurt.