Tunica family living in a stinky situation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TUNICA, Miss. -- A stinky situation. A Tunica family with five young children are forced live with dirty water and sewage spewing around their home.

They told WREG their landlord isn't doing anything about it. Plus people who live in the neighborhood are concerned for their health and want the local government to step in to help.

"I got backed up sewer. I got pipes that keep busting, fecal matter that I got to pick up off the ground," said Joey Hunter.

"Number one, number two. You name it. It was right there," said Hunter.

Raw sewage and gallons of water spilling from the broken pipers underneath their Tunica home on Cumberland.

"I had to keep telling them you can't play in that mud because that's s**t," said Hunter.

Hunters biggest concern is for his kids.

"I mean if I take them to the hospital and they say your child got this bacterial disease, what can I do about it," said Hunter. "I know that they kept them right here with a problem that should have been fixed by my landlord."

"This address has had a history of high usage," said Tunica Mayor Chuck Cariker.

The mayor came out to see what he could do Monday.

Workers flushed the pipes on the town's side.

"We can't go on private property to fix water leaks," said Cariker. "We can't go on private property to fix sewage issues"

We called the landlord, Alice Weedle, who lives out of state. Wedele said she believes Hunter broke a pipe to create this problem. She also claimed he's behind on rent $800 and he's been served with eviction papers.

Hunter told WREG, he's behind $100 and still owes for this month. We checked with the Tunica County Justice Court and he hasn't been served eviction papers as of Thursday.

"I just want everybody to know you have rights and some things you don't have to accept," said Hunter.

In the state of Mississippi, if you are a tenant and have a dispute with your landlord you cannot simply just stop paying the rent.