Family escapes early morning fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- "Everything is gone. Everything is gone!"

This home on Palmetto Avenue has been in Terri Williams' family for decades. It's where her aunt called home for nearly 50 years. But now that home is no more, having been burned during an early morning fire Monday morning.

"Well she was up in the kitchen watching TV and she heard the popping noise, and then she opened the back door up and there it was," Williams said.

Williams' aunt, her daughter and their two small dogs made it out safely, but their home and cars were destroyed.

The fire then spread to the vacant house next door. The flames shot so high, they scorched tree branches hanging 20 feet above the roof.

Hours after that fire started, you could still see smoke coming from the house and crews were still on scene gathering evidence.

A few hours later crews battled another fire across town at the Peppertree Apartments in Whitehaven.

An electrical malfunction was blamed in that one.

And late last night, a discount tobacco store on Getwell Road in East Memphis also went up in flames.