City Council postpones CLERB vote

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- After a long discussion, the Memphis City Council postponed a vote on the ordinance curbing subpoena issues with CLERB.

No decision was made Tuesday evening regarding asking the council to subpoena for them.

CLERB will be discussed at the first meeting in August.

On Tuesday, WREG had a chance to speak with those who filed complaints with CLERB and think being able to ask the council to subpoena is crucial to clearing old cases.

"These are folks that have waited 3 to 4 years to have their complaints reviewed by CLERB. They were referred to CLERB when it didn't exist. They've been lied to. They've been mistreated by the system."

Paul Garner has been a CLERB proponent for years.

He fought to bring it back, and now he's fighting for people like Marcus Walker to have a voice.

"I had no one to tell my problems to."

Walker is one of 186 cases Garner dug up of back logged complaints made against law enforcement.

Complaints filed with CLERB years ago when it didn't exist.

There were 137 cases in the City of Memphis.

Walker made his complaint six years ago in South Memphis after he said he was unjustly held by police.

"Just really had me down on the ground, front of my sons, in front of my family for no reason at all."

Now he's fighting for his case and others.

"CLERB called me 6 years later and lo and behold they're trying to do something about my issue."

Councilman Worth Morgan, who proposed the ordinance, has previously said he does not know if CLERB can legally ask the council to subpoena on their behalf.