Overnight fire damages Roxie’s Grocery, famous for its burgers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A Memphis grocery store, known for the burgers it serves, has been damaged in an overnight fire.

The fire started around 2:30 a.m. at the store at 520 North 3rd Street.

The Memphis Fire Department confirmed an electrical issue with a cooler caused the fire.

MFD Lt. Wayne Cooke said the building did not have a sprinkler system. He said a passerby called in the fire.

"It broke my heart. It broke my heart. Lot of work we put into this business. It just went up in smoke, just like that," said the owner's son, Floyd Miller.

Miller said the store has been a fixture in the neighborhood for about 30 years. Several folks in the area came by the store Tuesday, after hearing about the damage.

Miller said Roxie's will re-open.

"The community's rooting for Roxie's to hurry up and get back open," said employee Keisha Edwards.

Miller said the insurance adjustor will survey the damage Tuesday.

Roxie's has long been a corner grocery, but it is best known for its burgers.

The 'Mr. Good Burger' is perhaps its most famous offering.

The burger is piled high with cheese, grilled onions and peppers and of course seasoned beef.

Data pix.


Google Map for coordinates 35.158267 by -90.044553.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.