Man who fired shots at police during 2014 standoff sentenced

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The man who shot at police officers during a standoff two years ago was sentenced to six years behind bars on Friday.

Twenty-six-year-old Misael Chica-Arguenta was convicted back in November on three counts of attempted voluntary manslaughter.

He was acquitted on the attempted first-degree murder charges.

During the standoff in the 3200 block of Lyndale Avenue, Chica-Arguenta waved the pistol at officers, pointed the gun at his own head, and then pointed it again at the officers.

At one point, he even fired shots at two officers on the scene.

It was at that point authorities returned fire, striking the suspect.

His girlfriend also told investigators he had fired three shots at her before they arrived on the scene.

On the stand, Chica-Arguenta told the court he had been depressed and wanted the cops to kill him.

The District Attorney’s Office said Chica-Arguenta has been in custody since the incident and has almost served enough time behind bars to be considered for parole.

However, he is reportedly not in the states legally which means he may have to meet with Immigration officials.