5-year-old leads blind grandmother to safety during house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Courtesy of THV11

KENNER, La. — A 5-year-old is being hailed a hero after she saved her blind grandmother from a house fire.

Cloe Woods is a Pre-K student at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Louisiana.

Just a couple of weeks ago, her class learned about fire safety and even took a field trip to the Kenner Fire Department.

The little girl was apparently paying attention because this past Wednesday she knew exactly what to do when her own home caught on fire.

According to THV11, when the fire alarm went off, Cloe sprinted to her grandmother’s side.

“She told my mom to hold her shoulder, and that they had to get out of the house,”Shone Arceneaux, Cloe’s mother told the news station.

Once the elderly woman and the family’s dog were okay, the 5-year-old banged on the neighbor’s house looking for water.

“I wanted water, to pour it,” Chloe said.

The little girl even told each neighbor she came across to call 911.

The Kenner Fire Department said thanks to Cloe paying attention in school, tragedy was avoided.

“She saved her grandmothers’ life and saved her own life,” said Fire Chief John Hellmers.