Dog dies after being locked inside hot car at mall
Update 8/11/15– Two people have been charged in the death of this dog.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A dog died Wednesday after being locked in a car at Wolfchase Galleria.
The heat index at the time was 113 degrees, meaning the temperature could easily have exceeded 140 degrees.
According to police they received a call just before 3:30 p.m. from the Bartlett Animal Hospital who told them about the dog.
MPD quickly made the scene at the mall where they spoke with three witnesses.
They told police they had parked their car at 1:45 p.m. when they spotted a blue Ford Fusion also parked near the food court.
Inside was a small dog, panting and foaming at the mouth while sitting in the front passenger seat.
The witnesses reached into the car, unlocked the door and took the dog to the Bartlett Animal Hospital.
As police were speaking with the witnesses, two hours after the dog was found, two people walked up to the car and admitted they left the dog inside.
He said he had left the windows cracked and had put a cup of water inside for the dog.
As you can see in the chart below, it takes minutes for a car to become an oven for a human or animal.