Marks, Mississippi teen killed in fiery crash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MARKS, Miss. — An 18-year-old was killed in a fiery car crash Thursday morning in Marks, Mississippi.

Tyrone Small died when his car hit a tree.

Family and friends said the teenager had recently started a new job, but his first love was his car.

“I have questions, but I know only the good Lord can answer. I’m not looking for man to answer any questions,” said Dorrandia Wilson.

Wilson wanted more than anything to know what caused the fiery crash Thursday morning that killed her nephew.

Small was driving  on Walnut Street in Marks when his car left the road and  crashed into a tree.

Small’s  Crown Victoria burst into flames when it hit the tree.

Small was trapped inside and killed.

“He just had accomplished his goal with getting a car, that was his first car. He was working and he was just developing into being a young man,” said Wilson.

Family and friends gathered at his home Thursday,  recalling how much the teenager loved his car which he’d only had for two days.

“That was his dream car, the Crown Vic. And he was just excited about it,” said Dorothy Wilson, Small’s grandmother.

She told WREG she was constantly worried about her grandson who worked nights at the Walmart in Oxford.

She said she remembers her last phone conversation with her grandson.

“I said, ‘where are you?’ He said, ‘I’m out here at some friend’s house.’ And I said, ‘Tyrone, come home. Park your car and get some rest.’ And he said, ‘ok “mom, ok “mom” I’ll be there,  I’m coming,’ she said.

Small’s death was especially hard on his young friends.

“It’s just kind of hard to believe and to accept the fact that he’s gone,” said Markeith Cooper,

Cooper owned a car similar to the one Tyrone drove, but now Cooper can’t bear to look at it.

“My first plan? Sell my Crown Vic. I don’t want it no more,” said Cooper.

We wanted to know if any other vehicles were involved in the crash, but no one with the Marks Police Department was available Thursday to talk.

We were told the accident is still under investigation.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.