WELDON SPRING, MO — Exterminators took extreme measures to remove thousands of poisonous spiders from a Missouri home.
Crews covered a house in what looks like a giant circus tent.
They then pumped in poisonous gas.
The family that bought the house six-years ago had enough of poisonous spiders.
It didn’t take the family too long to realize the home was infested with the venomous brown recluse spiders.
A spider expert figured up to 5,000 were living in the house.
The current owner sued the previous owners, saying they never told them about the spider problem.
The home eventually went into foreclosure.
A leading brown recluse expert said the spider’s bite can be serious depending on how much venom is injected.
“It’s not going to kill you but it will make you wish you were dead a lot of the time,” said Jamal Sandidge with the University of Kansas.
He said there’s no clear-cut reason why one home may become infested while others nearby have no problem, “You can move from a house that has brown recluse, they’re in your stuff, they’re in your boxes. You’re bringing them with you. You buy things at an auction, a garage sale, you inherit furniture, you have furniture in storage, you bring it back to your house. Many times brown recluse are carried right into the house.”
The venom in a brown recluse spider bite can lead to ulcers, nausea, and in rare cases coma and kidney failure.