Firefighters Battle Large House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) A house near the airport caught fire Tuesday.

The homeowner was asleep on a couch on the first floor when the fire started.

He heard the fire alarm and grabbed a fire extinguisher to try to put the fire out, but there was too much smoke and fire.

He got out unharmed.

The fire at its height was between 60 and 70 percent involved.

The Memphis Fire Department said a water heater on the second floor malfunctioned, sparking the fire.

MFD emphasized that a working fire alarm means early detection, which leads to an early response and a life saved.

The house is located at Beauchamp at Bishop's Ridge in Oakhaven.

One firefighter was sent to Methodist Germantown Hospital for an injury to his left hand.

Damage was estimated at $30,000 for the structure, $15,000 contents, and $2,500 vehicle.


Comments are closed.