House Fire Leaves Five People Homeless

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) Investigators with the Memphis Fire Department are trying to figure out what caused an early morning fire that destroyed a North Memphis home.

The fire broke out just after 3 a.m. Wednesday at a house in the 1500 block of Boxwood St., which is just a few blocks northwest of Chelsea and Hollywood.

When firefighters arrived, flames were coming through the roof of the home.

Luckily, the five people living there were able to get out safely, thanks to a smoke detector.

“It saved their lives. It woke up one of the children and they alerted the parents that the smoke detector was going off and the house was on fire,” said Battalion Chief Keith Staples with Memphis Fire.

The Red Cross is now assisting the family.There were no injuries.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.