Officers Routinely Relieved of Duty After Tuesday Shootings

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Update 10/16- Two unidentified officers have been put on routine relief of duty after yesterday’s incident which left two other officers wounded and ended with the accused shooter killing himself.

(Memphis) Police lights lit up South Parkway Tuesday afternoon.

The neighborhood is still shaken up after a suspect shot two officers and was found dead in a home he set on fire.

The chaos started around 1p.m. on South Parkway at an apartment complex when police surrounded a building with guns drawn.

"I had just seen a bunch of cars. I didn't know what was going on," neighbor Darrell Wright said.

Police were looking for Aaron Dumas, who was accused of shooting two people on October 7th.

He wasn't at the apartment complex, but police tracked him down to a nearby home at 1383 Worthington.

Police say when they went inside the home, Dumas started firing.

Tactical officer Timothy Jackson was shot in the leg and is recovering.

Dumas then barricaded himself inside the home for hours.

"A chemical agent was deployed inside the home, at which time the suspect became irate and fired numerous additional shots at the officers from inside the home," Police Director Toney Armstrong.

That's when a second officer was also hit in the leg.

Officer Paul Hutchison was rushed to The Med as Dumas ran back into the home.

Hutchison is also recoverng.

Moments later, smoke started rising from the home.

"It's kind of wild over here, like the wild wild west," Wright said.

After the fire was put out, Dumas was found dead inside in a bathtub.

After a day of terror, Armstrong is thankful his officers made it out alive, "We feel extremely blessed that both of them appear will survive their injuries."

Armstrong said he will have to wait for the medical examiner's office to find out how Dumas died.

Fire investigators remained on the scene Tuesday night trying to figure out how the fire started.


Comments are closed.