Child Killed After Being Hit By Car In Sardis, MS

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Sardis, MS)  A two-year-old child was run over and killed in Sardis, MS Friday afternoon.

Family members told us A-niyah Thomas-Farmer and her mother had just moved in with her grandmother. The incident happened in the grandmother's driveway on Alcorn Street, off of Highway 51.

The car involved in the incident was a brown Chevrolet Impala, belonging to the child's mother.

Sardis police said that shortly after 3:00p.m., they were called to the scene, where the child had suffered trauma and was bleeding.

Chief John Deal said they attempted to airlift her from a nearby field, but the coroner was soon called.

"My birthday's today, you know, and she's been murdered. So, I just want justice to be done," said Mario Farmer, the victim's father, who rushed to the scene Friday afternoon.

As of Friday night, Sardis police do not have anyone arrested for the incident and are still questioning possible people involved.

"I heard an 11-year-old girl stole the keys and ran her over," said Arlean Tanksley, the girl's great aunt.

That story has not been confirmed by police, but it's the story family members heard. All of them are looking for answers and outraged at how this could have happened.

One family member was so upset, police handcuffed her and put her in the back of a squad car.

Relatives said they had just celebrated A-niyah's second birthday on Memorial Day.

"She had a big, big, big birthday party. Wonderful birthday party, happy birthday party. She enjoyed herself all day long. She was just a cheerful, happy baby," Tanksley said.

"She was just always a happy person. She was always running and hugging, and kissing," Farmer said.

Police would not confirm which adults were present when the incident happened. While Chief John Deal said he believes it was an accident, police are still investigating.