Need Free Tax Help?

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) If you’re struggling to file your taxes, you are not alone. Tax preparation can be overwhelming and lots of folks can’t afford a professional preparer, nor are they comfortable filing themselves.  The good news is, there’s help, and it’s free.

The IRS has workers providing assistance at 17 sites across Shelby County.  Households that made $51,000 or less in 2012 can get help at VITA sites.  There are also locations managed by the AARP for taxpayers 60 and older.

Find a VITA Site Near You: or call 1-800-906-9887.

Find a TCE/AARP Tax-Aide Site Near You: or call 888-227-7669.

The IRS suggests the taking the documents or info below:

-Proof of identification

-Documents showing real estate taxes paid in 2012

-Social Security Cards (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, ITIN) for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration

-Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return

-Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers

-Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

-A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available

-Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit

-Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)

-Information for other income

-Information for deductions/credits

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.