Family Members Rescue Woman Held Hostage By Convicted Killer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Memphis) Family members came to the rescue of a woman held hostage in her own home. Police say an ex-boyfriend, who is a convicted killer, was behind it all.

J.D. Marr was arrested and charged with kidnapping and aggravated assault for threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend with a knife.

Police say this isn't the first time he tried to attack her. The last time, it sent her to the hospital. This time her injuries weren't as severe and it's all thanks to family members who showed up just in time.

For more than 18 hours, Donna McDonald was held against her will inside her apartment. Marr fell asleep, but McDonald still couldn't leave, because there was no quiet way to get out with her autistic son and her two-year-old grandson.

It all started when McDonald arrived home to her East Memphis town home Friday evening. Marr was there to talk about money he owed her. Everything at first was civil, but when she got a phone call from a friend it sent him into a rage.

“He put his hand around my neck and pulled a knife on me and told me, ‘[Expletive], there is nothing to keep from slashing your throat right now’,” said McDonald.

She says Marr took her cell phone away. She feared what happened last April was going to happen again, when she says he hit her several times in the face.

“I had to talk him into letting me go to the emergency room, that was the only way I got out of it and I just knew I did not want to go through that again,” said McDonald.

She says this time Marr slept on the floor at the foot of her bed all night. She managed to get her phone back and texted the numbers 9-1-1 to a friend. The friend sensed something was wrong and called McDonald’s family. Her nephews came to the rescue.

“[They] just told him, ‘you're not going to do this to our aunt again’ and started hitting him with their fists and he was fighting them too,” she said.

They kept Marr there until police arrived. McDonald is relieved. After he assaulted her the last time, she found out Marr served time for killing a girlfriend back in 1989.

“I appreciate my family,” McDonald said as she began to cry. “They came through for me and I really don't think I would have been here if they hadn't of gotten here when they did.”

McDonald had a restraining order against Marr from the first attack. She wasn't enforcing it, but said she will in the future.

No one answered the door at Marr's home Sunday when News Channel 3 went by.