Current Job Openings at WREG News Channel 3
WREG-TV, an equal opportunity employer, is dedicated to providing broad outreach regarding job vacancies at the station. We seek the help of local organizations in referring qualified applicants. Organizations that wish to receive our job openings should mail your contact information to: WREG-TV, Human Resources, 803 Channel 3 Dr., Memphis, TN 38103.
Job Title: Media Coordinator Department: Engineering
Station: WREG-TV Reports to: Content Systems Admin
POSITION SUMMARY (Scope & Purpose)
The Media Coordinator schedules, records, downloads, prepares, transcodes, reviews, uploads, distributes, archives and monitors television broadcast media content required in the transmission of multichannel television programming. The Media Coordinator utilizes computer workstations, Web servers, video servers and software such as Web browsers, file transfer applications, custom broadcast automation applications, database tools and media transcoders to manage television programming content. Additional responsibilities include, aligning ENG/SNG live shots, testing broadcast quality and FCC compliance, and operating television broadcast equipment; such as video routers, equipment schedulers, satellite downlinks, intercoms, EAS encoders, Keyers, Logo inserters, VTRs and video editing systems.
1. Coordinates, prepares and distributes television programming, commercials and promos
2. Coordinates and implements programming schedules, automation playlists, dub orders, purge orders, record schedules, production schedules, and archive schedules.
3. Supervises and monitors incoming and outgoing linear television broadcast streams.
4. Sets up, controls and monitors television technical equipment such as video routers, video servers, video tape machines, ENG microwave and Satellite reception equipment.
5. Reads, analyzes and interprets broadcast video and audio quality control equipment.
6. Operates television transmitter equipment via remote control.
7. Aligns satellite downlink antennas and tunes both digital and analog satellite receivers.
8. Maintains signal quality and proper levels throughout studio equipment in accordance with good engineering practices set by the Chief Engineer.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
Should possess knowledge of basic broadcast television FCC rules, video and audio QC standards and broadcast automation systems. Must have proficient knowledge in the following areas: Microsoft Windows Workstation and Server OS, Linux OS, computer networking technology, video/audio codecs and transcoding techniques, and file based content transfer protocols and methods. Must be detailed oriented and able to navigate computer workstations, Web servers, video servers, Windows and Linux operating systems, video editing software and television broadcast automation application software. Must have good communication skills. Must be able to calmly navigate high pressure work environments.
High School diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree in Computer Technology or equivalent preferred.
Good manual dexterity in order to operate the numerous small push-buttons and rotary switches on the equipment. Must be able to lift 50lbs. Must be able to read small font text on computer monitors
POSITION SUMMARY (Scope & Purpose)
The primary responsibilities of an Investigative Producer/Photographer are to gather, photograph and edit content, in conjunction with our award-winning team of investigative reporters.
• Responsible for gathering, photographing and editing content for investigative reporter. In some cases, the producer may be called on to write content as well. In most cases, the producer will be instrumental in the crafting of each story from start to finish.
• Must have the ability to dig for information using human sources and contemporary newsgathering techniques
• Must bring story ideas to the table and bring those ideas to life on television
• Must be committed to the concept of investigative reporting and upholding high journalistic standards
• Must be open to rigorous review of content based on legal and ethical standards
• Must be willing and able to translate investigative stories into content on the internet
• Must be willing and able to use social media to cultivate sources and promote the On Your Side Investigates brand
• Must be able to perform all functions of a photographer, including but not limited to shooting, editing, operating live trucks and participating in the coverage of special events, severe weather and breaking news.
• Must work well under pressure and on deadline
• Must work well in a team environment
• Maintains inventory of all assigned equipment and responsible for its up-keep
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Memphis – 38101
Ability to shoot and edit video in different settings and under extreme deadline pressure. Ability to drive and operate ENG Microwave Van and Digital Satellite Truck. Operate assigned photography equipment, operate Apple computers. Knowledge of how assigned photography gear works in order to perform minor repairs and troubleshoot in field when necessary. Ability to operate Final Cut Pro non-linear editing system. Ability to type. Ability to fully operate Droid X Smart Phones and other communication equipment. Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s License (or be able to get one) and maintain a clean driving record.
Dexterity to operate camera, Smart Phone, Apple computer, etc.. Vision to shoot and edit video. Ability to lift 100 pounds or more, as needed, of equipment consisting/camera, laptop computer, tripods, batteries, etc.. Ability to get into nooks, crannies and high places to shoot video. Work in extreme weather conditions. Accept travel assignments out of the market as required.
WREG TV is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you are interested, apply in writing to: Scott Sutherland, WREG-TV, 803 Channel 3 Drive, Memphis, TN 38103.
Fax information to (901) 543-2167 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Purpose/reason for this Position:
The primary purpose of the reporter is to gather the facts and present them in a clear and concise manner as assigned.
Core Job Functions:
1. Brings in story ideas to discuss for possible assignment.
2. Make calls and set up interview for stories.
3. Research news stories to ensure factual content.
4. Conduct interviews with newsworthy subjects, maintaining professional attitude and objective frame of mind at all times.
5. Write factual account of stories assigned, sometimes under extreme deadlines pressures.
6. Present stories in edited or live format, as assigned.
Memphis – 38103
Command of the English language, secondary language such as Spanish, helpful. Should be able to write in complete sentences with proper spelling, punctuation and format. Should be able to function under extreme stress and deadline pressures. Experience in reporting and news gathering preferred. Should have working knowledge of the Internet and feel comfortable using computers and electronic newsgathering equipment.
A four year degree in liberal arts or journalism is preferred and/or two years WORK experience.
Dexterity for operating keys and buttons on computer and typewriter. Vision and hearing and vocal communication skills used to gather and report news. Ability to climb ladders and get in remote places to report stories. Ability to use radios, audio equipment, telephones, etc. in newsgathering. Works, as required, outdoors in all kinds and extremes of weather. Must be able to drive a vehicle.
LOCAL-TV / WREG-TV IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
If you are interested, apply in writing to: Bruce Moore, WREG-TV, 803 Channel 3 Drive, Memphis, TN 38103. Fax information to (901) 543-2167 or e-mail email@example.com – NO PHONE CALLS!
1. Responsible for the retention of current business and the development of new business as evidenced by the attainment of sales goals in total revenue & emphasis revenue.
2. Sells special projects that generate new business.
3. Develops relationships with multiple level contacts at both agencies and advertisers in order to better understand the business objectives and advertising strategies of clients in order to help them achieve their objectives through effective use of electronic media.
4. Develops and successfully executes aggressive growth action plans, overcomes obstacles, continuously improves client relationships by adding value, enhances profitability and increases revenue by fully leveraging the station’s unique advantages.
5. Makes sales presentations to all classifications of advertisers to obtain orders for advertising time and use of commercial production facilities.
6. Co-ordinates internally the actual purchase of advertising time, placement of the schedule and availability of production material.
7. Schedules and makes marketing presentations in conjunction with Sales Manager/Marketing Research using station research materials.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Memphis – 38103
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Three to five years media sales exp. & college degree preferred. Nielsen, One Domain, TNS , Internet/Convergence sales and Marshall Marketing exp. a plus. Need a proven track record of new business development plus ability to grow business by developing marketing solutions and creative ideas. Need to have excellent written, verbal and organizational skills. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint). Must possess a Tennessee Driver’s license (or be able to get one).
Eyesight to do sales research and verbal skills used in conversation. Ability to drive a vehicle, put together displays. Dexterity to operate keys and buttons on computers, and telephones. Ability to lift tapes, sales packages and other objects up to 20 pounds and over where needed. Exposed to all kinds of weather in connection with making sales calls on clients.
LOCAL TV LLC / WREG-TV IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Send resume to Local Manager: Email Sales@wreg.com.
Job posted by an EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Contacts For Students Interested In Unpaid Internships at News Channel 3:
Internship contact: Debbie Bringle firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send a letter of interest, your updated resume and a letter from a faculty advisor to the email address above, or mail to:
Debbie Bringle c/o WREG-TV 803 Channel 3 Drive, Memphis, TN 38103.
All News Channel 3 Internship programs are unpaid short-term positions. Only students attending an accredited college (SOPHOMORE – SENIOR) and who will receive course credit should apply.