Forrest City apartment fire claims teenage girl’s life
FORREST CITY, Ark. — A 14-year-old girl was killed in an apartment fire early Friday morning, officials with the Forrest City fire department and school district confirmed.
The fire happened in the 300 block of Victoria Street.
According to fire officials, the girl’s mother got up at 3 a.m. and put grease on the stove to make food. She went in another room of the two-story apartment and dozed off.
The mother woke up to smoke and fire and called for her children upstairs. Two children came down and went outside, but the daughter did not wake up in time.
The fire department said the mother tried several times to go back in for her daughter, but the heat and smoke was too intense. On her final try, the front door closed and locked.
The girl was taken to a local hospital, where she later died.
A spokesperson for the district released a statement saying that the girl was in ninth grade at Forrest City High School.
“High school guidance counselors and other community resources are working with students to assist them as we work through this time of mourning. District staff and partners are also available to assist the siblings and classmates as we grieve the death of this young lady. Our prayers are with the family of this student.”
The student has not been identified.