Tulsa officer who shot, killed unarmed man found not guilty

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Moments before she killed an unarmed man, Betty Shelby had no idea what he may have been reaching for, the Tulsa police officer testified Monday.

OKLAHOMA — Betty Shelby, the Tulsa police officer who fatally shot an unarmed man last year, was found not guilty Wednesday of first-degree manslaughter.

In September 2016, Shelby shot Terrence Crutcher next to his SUV on an Oklahoma road.

Crutcher’s vehicle had reportedly broken down.

Two other drivers called 911, reporting a man running away from the SUV and saying it was going to blow up.

Police helicopter footage later showed Crutcher with his hands in the air as he walked toward his broken-down SUV. As Crutcher nears the driver’s side door, part of the camera’s view is obscured.

By the end of the video, Crutcher is on the ground with a large bloodstain on the front of his T-shirt.

During her testimony, Shelby said she was driving to assist an officer with a domestic dispute when she saw Crutcher standing in the middle of the highway with his head down on his chest. He appeared dazed and confused but moved to the side of the road, she said.

She continued to the call but saw an SUV with the engine running parked in the middle of the roadway, she testified.

After calling dispatch to send another officer to that initial domestic call, she approached the vehicle, and glanced in the window but saw no one, she said.

As she turned around to walk to her patrol car, she noticed Crutcher walking towards her, she testified.

Crutcher alternated between putting his hands in his pocket and putting them in the air, she said.

She told him: “Show me your hands,” she testified, adding that he didn’t comply.

Crutcher was sweating heavily, and smelled of PCP chemicals as they stood looking at each other from a few feet away, she said.

Crutcher’s twin sister, Tiffany shook her head in the courtroom after hearing Shelby’s description of her brother.

An autopsy found Phencyclidine, or PCP, in Crutcher’s system at the time of his fatal shooting, according to the toxicology report released with his autopsy by the Oklahoma Chief Medical Examiner’s Office. The report did not indicate when the drug had entered his system.

Shelby testified that she called for backup and ordered Crutcher to get on his knees.

Crutcher ignored her order — and also ignored orders from her and another officer, Tyler Turnbough, who arrived on the scene, Shelby said.

She said Crutcher put his hands on the SUV and then moved to reach into the vehicle. Shelby fired one shot from her weapon while Turnbough fired his Taser, she testified.

An attorney for Crutcher’s family has said that Crutcher’s window was rolled up, making it unlikely he was reaching into the car.

During cross examination, Assistant Tulsa County District Attorney Kevin Gray asked Shelby why she didn’t use her Taser.

Shelby said she believed her gun was an appropriate level of force. She said she “thought he [Crutcher] had a gun” because he repeatedly put his hands in and out of his pockets and reached inside of his car window. Shelby said she “didn’t have time to pull out her Taser.”

“But you had time to pull out a gun,” Gray said.

At one point, Gray asked: “Is Terence Crutcher’s death his fault?”

“Yes,” Shelby replied.

Gray asked Shelby why she didn’t initially mention in her interrogation interview that Crutcher smelled like chemicals associated with PCP. She acknowledge it was an important detail, but she said she had forgotten.