Fort Lauderdale shooter says he carried out attack for ISIS, FBI says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Esteban Santiago

Fort Lauderdale, Florida — Esteban Santiago, the man charged with killing five people at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport this month, told FBI agents that he had carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS, FBI special agent Michael Ferlazzo testified at Santiago’s bond hearing Tuesday.

He has been ordered held without bond.

During the hearing, an FBI agent confirmed that the 9 mm gun used in the Jan. 6 shooting rampage at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport is the same weapon Anchorage, Alaska, police seized and later returned to 26-year-old Esteban Santiago last year.

The agent also testified that Santiago mentioned after the shooting that he was under government mind control.

Later in the interview he claimed to have been inspired by Islamic State-related chatrooms and websites.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Lurana Snow set a Jan. 30 arraignment hearing.

Santiago could get the death penalty if convicted of federal airport violence and firearms charges that resulted in death.

He has yet to enter a plea.

CNN contributed to this report.