Faulty wiring caused North Memphis fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Locked gaze, and long stares. A couple forced out of their home onto a street corner stands watching their memories be destroyed right before their eyes.

It's all at the hands of flames just one day after Christmas.

"In the top window, there was like fire shooting out from the top window. Pretty wild," said neighbor Mia Jordan.

The family did not want to go on camera but said they were in their bedroom when the fire started on the second floor of the home. Thankfully, they were able to think quickly and get out.

"I saw the fire department stick around so I was worried people were still in there but they were just putting out flames."

The Monday morning blaze left the top of the home filled with darkness, and hollow with questions as to what caused the fire. That's a question firefighters have yet to answer for the couple.

The flames were quickly put out, but Jordan said memories and homes can be rebuilt. Lives lost can't be replaced.

"The important thing is they are okay."

Investigators have determined the cause of the fire to be faulty electrical wiring in the upstairs bedroom.