Family’s dog dies in house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A fire took the life of a dog Sunday in Memphis.

Memphis Fire responded to the blaze in the 5400 block of La Strada Street around 4:45 p.m.

It took firefighters about a half hour to put out the fire, which officials said started from an overloaded power strip in the utility closet.

No people were hurt, but Memphis Fire said the family’s dog died.

The building sustained $40,000 of damage, and $20,000 worth of contents were damaged from smoke, fire and water.