Donate to the Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign

Kitchen can turn into a danger zone on Thanksgiving Day

COLLIEREVILLE,  Tenn. -- There will be a lot going on in the kitchen Thanksgiving Day and safety experts want to make sure the only thing you have to worry about is overeating.

Firefighters and paramedics told WREG it only takes seconds for an unwatched pan or an open flame to turn into a fire.

Collierville firefighters took us around their kitchen to give us some safety tips.

They said never leave anything close to your stove that can burn. That includes plastic items, pot holders or kitchen towels.

Always turn the handles of pots and pans toward the back of the stove so that a child can't pull it down, and when you are preparing food, keep knives out of the reach of small hands.

Also,  if you plan to cook your bird in a deep fryer, make sure you do it outside, away from your house.

"Even your garage is not necessarily safe because of the heat and the possible chance of it boiling over.  You want to make sure the turkey you cook fits in your pot and is thawed completely because a frozen turkey can cause that hot grease to boil over and catch the lines on fire and cause a gas leak or something like that," said  Lieutenant-Paramedic Joe Lee Rape.

Firefighters also advised you always have a fire extinguisher handy and know how to use it.

If you do have a kitchen fire and are able to put it out on your own, you should still call the fire department to make sure it completely out.