Download our news and weather apps

Child helps eight people escape burning Parkway Village apartment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A family of eight is lucky to be alive after a fire broke out in their Parkway Village apartment overnight.

The fire started around 1 a.m. Tuesday at the Ten Mile Creek Apartments on Claudette Road south of American Way.

Firefighters say flames were coming through the roof by the time they arrived a few minutes later.

There were eight people inside the unit -- an adult and seven children.

Lt. Wayne Cooke with the Memphis Fire Department says an 11-year-old boy woke up, heard the smoke detector going off and woke up the rest of his family, likely saving their lives.

"We consider (him) a hero and we applaud him for his efforts in getting that family out without any harm," said Lt. Cooke.

Lt. Cooke says no civilians were injured, but a firefighter went to the hospital with a shoulder injury. He is in stable condition.

He says the fire started from an unattended candle in the dining room.