Mother turns in son after gruesome hammer attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn.-- A Midtown mother told WREG she turned her teenage son into police so he would hopefully get his life back on the right track.

A 52-year-old man and the teenager were locked up, accused of attacking a man with a hammer and robbing him.

52-year-old John Henry was taken to 201 Poplar on aggravated assault charges, while the mother of the second suspect, a 17-year-old boy, said he's in juvenile detention.

"We heard a bunch of whining and crying like somebody was asking for help, and there was two people on top of him," said Rhonda Segarson.

That's what Segarson said she heard Saturday night.

She didn't feel comfortable showing her face on camera but said one of the suspects she saw on top of a man outside her home on Auburndale in Midtown was her 17-year-old son.

"Well I was in shock of course, but it didn't surprise me because he's been going down the wrong road for years," she said.

According to police, the victim met a woman he knew at the Cash Saver grocery store just up the road.

The two decided to walk back to a home on Auburndale.

That's when police said Henry and Segarson's son attacked the victim with a hammer, hitting him multiple times and knocking him to the ground.

They took $150 cash and a cell phone.

"He was hit in the head, his hand was bleeding," said Segarson.

The next day, she told police what she had witnessed.

"I want him to get help. That's why I did it."

Segarson said her teenage son started hanging out with Henry because they live near each other and has recently made poor decisions.

"The detective told me I done the right thing--100%. Cause he would've just kept on--doing what he was doing. He was not going to change."

Segarson had an important message for parents who might be dealing with a similar problem.

"Do whatever it takes to get your kids help while you can. They get grown you can't do much."

The victim is in the attack is recovering.

Henry was given a $75,000 bond.