Exploding e-cigarette severely injures Memphis native

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — A Memphis native is in critical condition after he suffered multiple injuries when his electronic cigarette exploded, his family said.

Cordero Caples’ family said the force from the explosion broke his neck and several bones in his face, and it knocked out his tooth and burned his mouth. Caples will also have to undergo spinal surgery Sunday.

The e-cigarette was reportedly made by Kangertech.

Caples’ sister flew from Memphis to Colorado to be with him Friday.

In a 2014 report, the U.S. Fire Administration said e-cigarette explosions are rare; there were only 25 reported cases between 2009 and 2014. Of these, only nine resulted in injuries, and there were no deaths. Incidents were most likely to occur when the e-cigarette was charging.