Gas leak prompts evacuation at Southwest Community College

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- MLGW crews continued working to repair a gas main at Southwest Community College Tuesday.

Dozens of people were told to get out of the new building, which remains under construction at the intersection of Union and Myrtle, just before 9 a.m.

"It set off a lot of gas in this area," Lt. Wayne Cooke, spokesperson for the Memphis Fire Department, said. "Our crews arrived on the scene, we isolated the area, we evacuated the building.  Approximately 30 employees were evacuated," he said.

People were allowed to reenter the building after 45 minutes.

MLGW rushed to the scene to shut off the gas when they received the call.

Cooke said no one was injured.

The new building on SWCC's campus is set to become the new home for their Nursing and Natural Sciences programs.