No one called police for bloody man on Beale Street

*Disclaimer: The video included in this story may be hard for some viewers to watch.*

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A spokesperson for the Memphis Police Department said the communications center didn’t receive any emergency phone calls as a man was recorded passed out in a pool of blood on Beale Street.

Around 2:30 a.m. Sunday, dozens of people pulled out their phones to record video of a man passed out on Beale Street.

Memphis Mayor A C Wharton and Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong released statements about the video circling social media.

The mayor’s office sent WREG an e-mail, calling the incident “truly regrettable” and “upsetting.”

STATEMENT | Mayor is “not so shocked” by Beale St incident

“I was shocked. I was absolutely shocked. I was surprised nobody helped him,” a tourist told WREG.  “Everybody stopped and took pictures and nobody was helping him.”

Also in an e-mail, Armstrong responded to claims that police took too long making their way to the scene.

Armstrong’s office said no one dialed 911 about the bloody man on Beale Street.

“It is disheartening to see an injured person laying on the ground with spectators capturing photos and video; but not calling for assistance. MPD Communications did not receive a call concerning this wounded individual; however, officers who were assigned to Beale Street responded immediately once they witnessed a large crowd and a man down,” Armstrong said.

Investigators are looking through footage from cameras placed at each end of Beale Street.

Police said the man was too drunk to remember what happened to him early Sunday morning.

According the the police report, the man stated to police “I’m straight,” when asked what happened to him the morning of the incident.

“This is an ongoing investigation and we are trying to put the pieces together to determine what actually occurred,” Armstrong said.

The man in the video was originally rushed to the Regional Medical Center and placed in non-critical condition.  WREG learned the victim was released from the hospital Monday afternoon.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 10,731 other followers