Tigers go national to open 2014
BRISTOL, Conn. – For the fifth time since the event’s inception in November of 2008, the University of Memphis is scheduled to be a part of the annual ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.
Memphis and Wichita State are slated to play the 1 p.m. (CT)/2 p.m. (ET) contest Nov. 18 on ESPN in Sioux Falls, S.D. The match-up will be played on Heritage Court at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls. Tickets for the Nov. 18 encounter go on sale Friday, Aug. 8 at 12 p.m. (CT) via ticketmaster.com.
This is the second-straight season the Sanford Pentagon is hosting an NCAA Division I match-up. Last November, Wisconsin defeated St. John’s 86-75.
The November trip to South Dakota will be the first in Tigers basketball history.
The following are a few facts about Memphis’ history in the seventh-annual ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon:
• The Tigers previously played in the event in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
• This November match-up is the second time Memphis played its season opener in the ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon. The other time was in 2011 in the Tigers’ win over Belmont.
• Memphis has a 3-1 record in the ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.
• The Tigers are 3-0 in home games played in the ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon. Memphis is 0-1 in neutral-site contests.
• The Tigers posted home wins over UMass 80-58 in 2008, Miami (Fla.) 72-68 in 2010 and Belmont 97-81 in 2011.
• Memphis’ lone loss was a narrow 57-55 setback to No. 1 Kansas in St. Louis in 2009.
• Three of the previous four appearances were part of college basketball exempt events (Puerto Rico Tip-Off in 2008; Hall of Fame Showcase in 2009; Maui Invitational in 2011).
• In 2008 and 2010, Memphis tipped off the ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon, playing the first game of the marathon in the 11 p.m. (CT)/12 a.m. (ET) time slot.
• In 2009, the Memphis-Kansas contest closed the marathon with a 9 p.m. (CT)/10 p.m. (ET) game that finished at 11 p.m. (CT)/12 a.m. (ET).
• The 2011 Belmont game is the only Memphis mid-day game in its ESPN 24-hour College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon history. That contest tipped at 11 a.m. (CT)/12 p.m. (ET) at FedExForum.
The Nov. 18 Memphis-Wichita State meeting will be the 20th between the two programs, but the first since the 1982-83 season. The Tigers hold a narrow 10-9 lead in the series. Eleven of the 19 previous match-ups came in the late 1960s through the mid-1970s when Memphis and Wichita State both were Missouri Valley Conference members.