Father demonstrates whipping 3-year-old before he died

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- There were tears in the courtroom on Saturday as Maurice Brown described what happened the day his son died two years ago.

"I threw him in the garbage," Brown said on the witness stand.  "I threw him in the garbage can."

Brown is not denying that he was the one who tossed his 3-year-old son's lifeless body in a dumpster.

"When I got him out of my presence it just felt like a big relief.  I was panicking," Brown described.

Brown took the stand in his own defense to convince the jury he did not murder his son and that he just "messed up."

Brown whipped his belt through the air to demonstrate to prosecutors how he spanked his son after the boy spilled water in the bathroom.

Brown claims Maurice Brown Jr (aka "Junior") stopped breathing when he slipped and bumped his head on the floor.

"I was just trying to revive him.  I was trying to revive him, and junior wasn't saying nothing," Brown said.

In an interview seen on WREG two years ago, Brown cried to reporters saying he had no idea where his son was.

Saturday, he revealed it was all a lie.

After Judge Chris Craft handed down deliberation instructions to the jury, both sides began closing arguments.

"That was my little man.  That was my soul.  I love him to death.  Well he sure did," the prosecution argued.

The state took an emotional approach.

Lawyers replayed videos, recorded phone calls, and showed pictures of the 3-year-old's lifeless body again.

"Is it murder? Naw. Is it murder second degree? Naw.  And down the line it's criminal negligent homicide," Brown's defense attorney argued.  "It's just what it is."

As Brown cried and put his head in his hands, the defense admitted their client deserved no father of the year award.

However, the defense urged the jury to make their decisions on the facts -- not with their hearts.

Judge Craft decided to let the jury go home on Saturday, get some rest, and return to court for deliberations on Sunday morning.

If found guilty, Brown could fave life in prison.


Comments are closed.