MEMPHIS, Tenn. — WREG News Channel 3 extends its winning streak once again in the Memphis market, winning first place in every local newscast Monday-Friday. That’s according to household ratings results released by Nielsen Media Research for the 28-day period from July 3-31, 2014.
More people get their news from WREG than any other local station. WREG’s President and General Manager Ron Walter said, “This is a sensational accomplishment that we find especially gratifying. It is all due to our devoted viewers who inspire us to deliver the best and most comprehensive news and information in our viewing area. Our viewers are the best and deserve the best, and we aim to meet those great expectations.”
News Director Bruce Moore added, “We’re grateful for the trust the people of the Mid-South continue to place in us. They are our number one priority. I congratulate our team for all their hard work, in front of and behind the camera, and for their everyday commitment to our viewers.”
One rating point equals approximately 6,628 households, or 17,233 people.
Here’s how the news ratings break down by time period:
- WREG won the entire morning news period from 4:30 to 7 a.m., beating WMC, Fox 13 and WATN. At 6 a.m., WREG achieved a 6.6 rating to WMC’s 4.1, WHBQ’s 3.6 and WATN’s 0.9.
- WREG’s News Channel 3 Live at 9:00 achieved a 5.1 rating, beating WHBQ’s 3.4 for the same time period, and topping NBC’s The Today Show, which achieved a 3.5, and WATN’s .7.
- At noon, WREG achieved an 8.4 to WMC’s 3.3. At 4 p.m., WREG had 7.0 and at 4:30 p.m. WREG scored a 7.3. WMC averaged a 3.0 for the 4-5PM hour.
- At 5 p.m., WREG won with an 7.7 to WMC’s 6.2, WHBQ’s 3.4 and WATN’s 1.9. WREG won the 6PM with an 8.5 to WMC’s 8.4 and WATN’s 1.6.
- For the all-important 10 p.m. news, WREG averaged a 11.5 rating to WMC’s 7.4, WHBQ’s 2.4, and WATN’s 1.4.
- WREG does well on weekends too. On Saturday morning, WREG’s average 5.5 rating tops all local competitors—WMC’s 4.0 and WHBQ’s 1.7. For Saturday’s 5PM News, WREG averaged a 4.0 to WMC’s 2.8 and WHBQ’s 1.4. WMC’s lone win was at 6PM on Saturday, averaging a 5.3 to WREG’s 4.0 and WATN’s 0.7. WREG wins Saturday at 10, with an 8.7 to WMC’s 4.2 and WATN’s 1.1. WREG’s ratings dominance continues on Sunday with a 5.0 average in the morning, topping Sunday Today on WMC, and WHBQ’s 0.9. Sunday evening beginning at 5, WREG wins with a 5.0 to WMC’s 3.4, WHBQ’s 1.2 and WATN’s 0.6. At 10, WREG averaged an 10.5, WMC, a 6.6 and WATN a 1.1.
- WREG also has the highest rated local sports program, Friday Sports Overtime, achieving a 8.4 rating to WMC Friday Sports Extra’s 5.3.
WREG-TV News Channel 3 is owned by TRIBUNE, one of the country’s leading multimedia companies, operating businesses in broadcasting, publishing, and interactive. The company’s broadcasting group owns or operates 42 television stations, WGN America on national cable, the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV, Tribune Studios and Chicago’s WGN-AM. In publishing, Tribune’s leading daily newspapers include the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Baltimore Sun, Sun Sentinel (South Florida), Orlando Sentinel, Hartford Courant, The Morning Call and Daily Press. Popular news and information websites complement Tribune’s print and broadcast properties and extend the company’s nationwide audience.