A couple of major retailers have recently pulled pet treats from China off their shelves after chemical-tainted treats made some dogs and cats sick. But if you're still concerned about what you're buying, you could just make your own, or buy healthy homemade treats from One Smart Pet Food Company. One Smart Pet Food Company makes preservative-free, all-natural, gourmet pet treats right here in Memphis. For more information, and to find out how Shelby County residents can get free delivery of treats ordered online, visit www.onesmartpetfood.com. You can also find One Smart Pet Food Company treats at Hollywood Feed locations around the Mid-South and at Miss Cordelia's on Mud Island.
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter & Carob Bites
2 Cups Brown Rice Flour
1 Cup Lentil Flour
3/4 Cup Peanut Butter (all-natural, creamy peanut butter preferred)
1/2 Cup Carob Powder
1 – 2 Cups Water (only enough water to hold the dough together)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In mixer, combine both flours.
3. Combine peanut butter and begin to mix ingredients on a low setting.
4. As blades of mixer are turning, incorporate carob powder.
5. Begin to slowly add water, 1/2 cup at a time while mixer is turning, adding only enough water for the dough to become firm.
6. Once dough has formed – it should be firm yet pliable – begin to scoop out small amounts of dough, approximately the size of a melon baller. Roll dough in hands, flatten slightly and lie on lined cookie sheet. Alternatively, the dough may be rolled out to 1/4-inch thickness and using a cookie cutter may be cut into pet friendly shapes.
7. Placed treats in oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until treats are firm.
8. Allow to cool and give to your dog as a sweet treat or healthy snack!
NOTE: Treats should be stored under refrigeration.