MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Lauderdale County Tomato Festival kicks off with opening ceremonies at 10 a.m. Friday, July 11th and events last until midnight on Saturday, July 12th.
The festivities will be held at the Ripley City Park and the Downtown Court Square.
For a list of all the events, times and locations, go to www.lauderdalecountytn.org or call (731) 635-9541. There will be tomato tastings, exhibits, sidewalk sales, plenty of food, music and more!
Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad Recipe:
This simple salad of fresh tomatoes and sweet corn will breathe new life into your summer picnic or backyard barbecue. Pair it with grilled burgers or steaks for a simple weeknight meal.
Game plan: The salad can be made up to 8 hours ahead, though you may want to mix the basil in at the last minute so it doesn’t wilt or discolor.
• 5 cups sweet white corn kernels (from about 7 to 8 medium cobs)
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 10-ounce container cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 cup small-dice red onion
• 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
1. Combine the lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large, nonreactive bowl. While continuously whisking, add the oil in a steady stream until completely incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients and the sweet corn and toss until well coated. Serve.