(Tupelo, MS) There is massive damage in Tupelo, Miss., after a tornado tore through the city Monday afternoon.
Tupelo police say there are injuries, although the extent and severity is not known.
No fatalities have been reported in Tupelo, although one person was killed in Verona, Miss.
There are storm shelters at 843 North Front Street and the Haven Community Center (3288 Willie Moore Road).
An 8 p.m. curfew has been put in place for the entire city.
Main roads in and out of Tupelo are closed.
Much of the damage is in the area of the Barnes Crossing Mall.
There are numerous reports from people who said they saw a large wedge tornado in that area.
Mississippi State University posted this message on its twitter account:
“Commuter students, staff or others who need a substantial place during the storm the Union Dawg House is open for you.”
Here are some damage reports from Tupelo via NE Mississippi Daily:
- Outback and Vanelli’s destroyed
- Neighborhood across Vanelli’s has been hit badly
- Barnes Crossing Mall has been hit on the south end, Tupelo
- Unconfirmed: Joyner School hit, Tupelo
- Shell station and Express Lube next to it by Margarete’s Chocolate flattened, Tupelo
Counties reporting damages:
- Desoto: Road closures due to flash flooding.
- Itawamba: Minor injuries. Some roads inaccessible due to downed trees. Several homes destroyed.
- Lee: Major damage in the City of Tupelo. Reports of extensive home damage in the area.
- Madison: Homes damaged. A few injuries.
- Montgomery: Trees down and homes damaged.
- Quitman: Trees and power lines down in the Marks community.
- Warren: Homes damaged and multiple roads closed.
- Winston: Major damage near Louisville. The Winston Medical Center has been damaged. The Mississippi Health Department is en route to provide assistance and damage assessment. Several homes have been destroyed.