(Memphis) Thirty people had to be evacuated because of a gas leak at a Midtown home.
You could hear the sound of escaping gas from all the way at the end of the block where fire crews had people stay while they secured the scene on Carr avenue.
Jill Brookoff told us, “One of the fire fighters banged on the door telling us to evacuate. He said you have to get out of your house right now.”
Neighbors say they saw contract crews digging in the front yard when gas started to leak.
“I was at work and my neighbors texted me and said I needed to come get my dog because there had been a gas leak,” said Jessica VanEyck
The house where the leak happened has been undergoing renovations since December.
Neighbors say they look forward to seeing the project wrap up.
“He is doing a great job on the house and it will be lovely. Especially if my house doesn’t blow up,” said Brookoff
VanEyck wasn’t at home when it happened, but was worried about her dog since her house is just across the street.
“At first they were not going to let me in, but the fire fighters went in for me and got her out,” She said.
Admittedly it’s not the way these neighbors were expecting to spend their Good Friday.
MLGW was called to the scene to make repairs.
People were able to get back in their homes by noon.