Soldier Refuses To Salute Flag Then Brags On Social Media

Posted on: 1:05 pm, February 27, 2014, by , updated on: 01:10pm, February 27, 2014

(Fort Carson, CO) A soldier who hid in a car in order to avoid saluting the flag and then bragged about it on social media is under fire.

The Army Times reports Pfc. Tariqka Sheffey hid in her car to avoid saluting the flag and then posted about it on the social media site.

“This is me laying back in my car hiding so I don’t have to salute the 1700 flag, KEEP ALL YOUR ‘THATS SO DISRESPECTFUL/HOWRUDE/ETC.’ COMMENTS TO YOURSELF cuz, right now, IDGAFFFF.”

The photo was shared via social media and then it was sent to Army Times.

One commenter said, “Any soldier who refuses to salute the flag is in the military for the wrong reason, and should be removed by dishonorable discharge with loss of all benefits,” one Facebook commenter said. “If they won’t salute it, they damn sure won’t fight for it.”

Sheffey is part of the 59th Quartermaster Company, 43rd Sustainment Brigade at Fort Carson in Colorado the site says.

When asked, a spokesperson said the chain of command is looking into the situation.

After the picture was shared, Sheffey posted an Instagram video thanking those who stood up for her but saying that she was not a disrespectful soldier.

Click here to read more about this incident on the Army Times.

Related:

Photos of funeral honor guard spark anger, investigation

Elizabeth City VFW Honor Guard on viral funeral photos: ‘That’s disgusting’

Submit Your Photo

• Howard Stern says:

I agree that she needs to be dishonorably discharged. If she refuses to salute the flag, she has no business being in the military.

• mission says:

The army needs to ship her booty to some outpost in Africa. When she returns I bet she will be the first one to fall in at attention.

• Karl lee says:

Non-judicial punishment is appropriate! It’s sad to say but I’m a DOD civilian that travels frequently to military installations! This behavior of not wanting to get out of vehicle to salute is done often!! This young lady elected to go further and put in on social media! Judging from her rank she is relatively new to Army – send her non saluting butt on a AFGAN deployment

• Diane Durham says:

We have no idea how her ancestors got here. You are assuming a fact not in evidence. She CHOSE to be in the U.S. Military. If she chooses the military, it involves certain commitments. Among those should be showing respect for the flag of the country she CHOSE to serve and whose tax payers are signing her paycheck every month. If she cannot and will not respect that flag, she is dishonoring her country and should be dishonorably discharged from service to or for said country. It is just pure common sense, which many, if not most, no longer possess or understand.

• If she won’t salute our flag, then this is a de facto violation of the oath she took to defend this country…. I see a paid vacation in Leavenworth in her future.

• snowbeastsareuglyandstink says:

All of you loudmouth EXCEPT for the dod civilian have never even served as i have so kindly shut the hell up with the fake outrage but yet you said not a mumbling word when the guy refused his deployment saying obama wasnt a legit president lol as usual snow beast sick sick myself basic Fort Campell AIT in Abeerdeen Proving Grounds. And you liudmouths?

• Todd B says:

Land of the free? Not so much these days your every move is put under a microscope by the media/public these days we are more worried about her not saluting the flag than asking why?

And the idiot talking about ancestors let it go jack your not welcomed in Africa at all

• snowbeastsareuglyandstink says:

For you loudmouths

• snowbeastsareuglyandstink says:

I served but I bet you all these ppl running off at the mouth HAVE nevet even worn the Uniform of a service member. So keep quiet only current/former/ Dod ppl have the right to comment.

• Terrie says:

Karl, if this is done oftenthen they need to be reported AND also be discharged. I mean WHY even bother to join? She may be too stupid if she put it on FB? haha!

• FawinquamariedaEBTQueen says:

SHE BE A ROLE MODEL SHE ONLY NEED TO SALUTE DA LORD AND SAVIOR BARACK OBAMMA!!!

• Jack says:

I think she should be asked to leave. Her future in the armed forces is over. Thanks but the country doesn’t have need for your service any longer.

• Ronald says:

I think if she won’t salute the flag kick her out of service and out of are country. I service our Cuontry for 22 yrs and will always even to day I will salute our countries Flag’

• Mark H says:

As a Retired Service member I say so what ! She is there serving her country she stepped up to the plate , when a majority of people her age have no desire to serve in the Armed Forces. Her Command will deal her and she will go with her service to Our Country. And speaking from expirence she did what thousands of soldier , sailors, airmen, marines and coast guardsmen do every day ! If you are out doors and morning colors or evening taps is played you have to salute ! But a trumpet is always sounded 5 minuets before to give notice and to tell the truth 99% of our servicemen will go inside to to cover of shelter , cars included so they do not have to stand there stuck at attention till the the song is over. And that people is today’s Military, If anyone of you don’t like the truth then go join and take up the slack .

• Joe Bo says:

Roger that, I agree 100%

• JustMe says:

She probably joined not to fight for our (and her) country, but to get a paycheck. Ever seen the ones that join, then whine and complain when they get deployed? I heard one say that they didn’t join to fight, and tried to get discharged when told he was going to deploy to Iraq.

• Huge Peter says:

Snowbeast we need to go hunting one weekend. This girl needs to be dropped out of an airplane into a terrorist country. Needs a huge-pe-ter put in her mouth till she chokes.

• Huge Peter says:

Thank you to ones who have served. Glad u love your Country

• snowbeastsareuglyandstink says:

Huge Peter no problem just as long you don’t do a Dick Cheney on me! Love to hunt lol.

• snowbeastsareuglyandstink says:

Huge Peter I can guarntee it had nothing to do with disrespect. Very fee service ppl want to get caught outside for THAT. Most dont even like falling out for formation. I saluted but hated being caught out for revelry or taps. This chick mistake was foolishly posting it on facebook.

• polo solo6 says:

Find out why she feels this way I bet it’s something going on deeper than what’s on the surface. I would want to know the reasoning behind this before making an assumption.

• B Douglas says:

“the 1700 Flag”… The nation of the 1700′s doesn’t much exist anymore, and looking back had some terrible prrincipals. That lead to the Civil War, so during the month of February, Black History Month, I understand her decision to avoid saluting “that’ flag.
    Problem is, the 1700 flag is a flag of the Union (USA), not the CFA. She took an oath of service to this current nation. So in no way can I agree with her decision and agree that her actions need a review.
    Her Facebook posting may also be as much hype by her (further hyped by the Web and media) beyond the possible non-issue it may be.

• Montoya Jennings says:

MAYBE SHE WENT TO HER CAR TO USE DAT OBAMA FONE TO MAKE AN APPT. FOR A PEDICURE!

• Smitty says:

I hope your comment was tongue in cheek Chris. Otherwise I fear for the future of our republic.

• I sure hope you were trying to be funny, otherwise that was a really stupid thing to say!

• Mph Pride says:

Midtown Mike stop your lying I’m willing to bet your racist a$$ has never been to a U of M game. The reason why is because there are a lot of Blacks that attend those games and you hate Blacks.

• 1midtownmike says:

Who said anything about hating blacks? I don’t have a problem with any race or culture moving forward where it benefits themselves as well as others, but let’s face it.

Blacks lack gratitude more than any race on this planet. Blacks have never acknowledged any caucasian that was a part of the civil rights movement. Never.

And yet the race baiters like Je$$e, Holder, $harpton, Oprah, & $tevie Wonder acts of hypocrisy keep leading a culture further downward into a spiral.

The aforementioned explains why I wish not to embrace “diversity.”

• Joe Bo says:

We lack gratitude? You are a comlete ediot. A discredit to your Country and your race. Caucasian arrogance at it worst.

• Elismom says:

*Looks at 1midtownmike’s comments* *sees no sign of intelligent life* *leaves the post*

• Elismom says:

What is a “cricket”? Looks like a clearly unclever code word for something. *shrugs shoulders* Must be some kid using the computer without his/her parent’s permission.