Stinky Situation On Main Street

Posted on: 7:18 pm, January 23, 2014, by , updated on: 08:16pm, January 23, 2014

(Memphis) Downtown businesses say the Family Dollar on Main Street is creating a stinky situation.

The say something smells about the situation because the Shelby County Health Department inspected the Family Dollar ten days ago and it passed inspection.

Surrounding businesses say the test stinks and smells like rats.

The smell that normally fills new the déjà vu restaurant on Main is Cajun spice, but now there’s a new odor seeping from the walls.

“The smell is unbelievable, we couldn’t figure out what it was,” Gary Williams said.

He believes its dead rats coming from the Family Dollar.

“I went over an investigated and they said they had rodent problems over there and they had inspectors,” he said. “I can’t afford to keep smelling that stuff because it’s going to ruin my client base.”

Attorney Murray Wells worries it will affect his clients too. He says the vile odor started three weeks ago and keeps getting worse.

“It’s hard to work in a building that smells like this and the clients the first thing they do in the lobby is get hit with a foul smell,” he said.

He, like Williams, is fed up.

“This morning I learned the problem appears to be dead rats come from the business next door and they tried to mask the smell up so I called the county health department,” Wells said.

He said he was the third person to call.

The Health Department sent an out inspector this afternoon as a follow up visit from the one ten days ago. We won’t know until Friday what the results found.

“They’ll get back in about 10 days make sure everything is cleaned up,” Williams said.

Williams hopes it happens quick so he can start enjoying the smells from his Louisiana kitchen again.

We called the Family Dollar Corporate Office for comment but did not hear back.

• Cary Miller says:

Where is Maine Street? Please get this article edited with proper punctuation, like periods, and fix all the left-out words. Geesh, this is horrible! This article stinks!

Local talent for ya!

And the stench isn’t dead rats, it’s the unwashed ghettoites! That’s why dogs don’t like them.

• Thomas H. Evans says:

The entire City Stinks. The smell is coming from our dead leaders at City Hall.

• toby says:

And the smelly ghetto rats won’t keep people out?

• 1midtownmike says:

3 posts (including this one) use ghetto (2 X ) or ghettoites 1 X ).

It is what it is.

You can twist perceptions but reality won’t budge. What’s left of a tax base in a city that was destroyed by black racism will be completely gone by 2020.

• Gilly says:

I am confused. What do you mean by “black racism”? Are you making a comment that people are being racist against black people? Because if you are , I have a sad awakening for you. I have lived here 8 and a half years. I have never…all up and down the east coast , EVER experienced racists until I moved here. And It was not against black people , its against white people. I am still amazed by the blatant hatred of white people. Case in point, go to the Walmart on Germantown . The “door greeter” she hates white people, I personally make a point to say something other than hello to her and she snarls every time . Its hilarious. I have watched others go in who are not white and guess what?????? She smiles, laughs , answers when they how she is. Not when I walk in. Its like I pooted with the snarl I get !!! Saw her yesterday , she said “Welcome to Walmart” I stated oh my you scared me, I didn’t see you there, How are you today. She snarled and snorted …She is a horrible door greeter unless you are not white. But as you say, its “black racism”? I haven’t actually ever heard that term. You do realize that Memphis is a craphole right? I mean the city council (I did not capitalize it for a reason), most of the police, DCS, the list goes on are corrupt right? And I don’t think it has to do with race…I think it has to do with how people were raised and morals. 90% of people here no no morals. Doesn’t matter what race you are. But I will say that a cop allowed a black woman call another woman a stupid white cracker. Which really isn’t rude because most don’t realize that a “cracker” was any race. It was whoever cracked the whip. Any way, the cop didn’t say a word to the woman chasing a white woman and calling her “cracker”. Had the tables been turned…The white woman would have been arrested…

• Toby says:

Black racism???? Is that what you term murder, carcjacking, assault, and random knockout game attacks on white people? Yeah, they are leaving in droves because of blacks…no, they are leaving in droves because of BLACK CRIME.

IDIOT.

• Gml says:

I’m sorry to hear that Gary and Murray are experiencing troubles from this neighbor. I will stick with déjà vu because it is delicious. Hope that junk shop cleans up its act.

• Billcash says:

I think the smell murray is smelling is the hair gel. Why in the world is this a story?